DATE AND VENUE
Lasts app. 110’; no intermission.
English with Turkish surtitles.
- Direction, Choreography & Film: Wim Vandekeybus
- Created With & Performed by: Maria Kolegova, Tanja Marı́n Friðjónsdóttir, Kristina Alleyne, Sade Alleyne, Kit King, Flavio D’andrea, Alexandros Anastasiadis, Mufutau Yusuf
- Text: Pieter De Buysser
- Story Line: Wim Vandekeybus & Pieter De Buysser
- Music: Trixie Whitley & Phoenician Drive
- Scenography: Gijs Van Vaerenbergh & Wim Vandekeybus / Ultima Vez
- Movement Assistant: German Jauregui, Milan Herich & Máté Mészáros
- Dramaturgy: Jerry Killick, Angelo Dello Spedale & Anabel Lopez
- Artistic Assistant: Aı̈da Gabriëls
- Lighting Design: Nicolas Olivier & Wim Vandekeybus
- Styling: Isabelle Lhoas
- Assisted by: Lieve Meeussen
- Technical Coordination: Davy Deschepper
- Sound Engineer: Bram Moriau
- Stage Manager: Tom De With
- Production: Ultima Vez
- Coproduction: KVS (Brüksel) & C-Mine (Genk)
- With the support of: Tax Shelter Measure of The Belgian Federal Government, Casa Kafka Pictures Tax Shelter Empowered by Belfius
* No animals were harmed.
Ultima Vez, one of the leading dance companies of the world, will be the guest of the festival with their deeply affecting show TrapTown. Well known for their impact on dance history, the Belgian company had joined the festival with Blush in 2004 and received high praise for their creative interpretations. Directed and choreographed by Wim Vandekeybus, TrapTown is Ultima Vez’s extraordinary work about the ordinariness of our daily lives. Imagine taking a journey to a parallel universe free from defined time and space. Old conflicts and strange catastrophes dominate the relationships between the inhabitants of this reality. The necessity and apparent possibility of emancipation rise to the surface... The relationship between the residents of the city reminds us of a universe we thought was long gone yet sustains its existence with all its power: A period where the dominion of myths continues to rule. Ancient souls and new myths… Vandekeybus’s profound fascination for the eternal nature of myths was evident in Blush (2002), and Oedipus/bêt noir (2011). For TrapTown, he returns to the limitless and obscure cosmos of ancient souls, using dance, film, text and music to conceive a new mythology. Dance and film sequences create a seamless live experience. TrapTown is written by Pieter De Buysser, the soundtrack is composed by the famous Trixie Whitley and Phoenician Drive. The design of the scenography belongs to the architect duo Gijs Van Vaerenbergh. This breath-taking team takes the audience to an extraordinarily euphoric universe full of oracles, elevating them to the heights of artistic pleasure.
The collaboration between the Istanbul Theatre Festival, Belgium-based Platform 0090 and the Flemish Ministry of Culture continues in 2019. Flemish Ministry of Culture is contributing to the festival this year by supporting the dance companies Ultima Vez and Voetvolk, and the work of Begüm Erciyas.